Called Otjozondjii by the Herero and later changed by German settlers to Swachaub. Later on in the year 1896 when the district had been proclaimed, the name Swakopmund (meaning Mouth of Swakop) and introduced.
In 1892 Captain Curt von François founded Swakopmund as the main harbour for the Imperial German Colony as the harbour alongside Walvis Bay belonged to the British. Sites alongside the Cape Cross were unsuitable while Swakopmund offered an availability of fresh water. The official date of Swakopmund’s founding would be on the August of 1892 where the crew of the gunboat “Hyena” erected two beacons alongside the shore.
National Marine Aquarium of Namibia
Desert Explorers Adventure Centre